Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

happy new year!



Did you know that it's not New Year's Eve everywhere? When we were in Ethiopia, I was surprised to see the big "2000" planted in the Project Mercy compound, and to learn that they operate on a completely different calendar than we do here. Who knew? Based on the Coptic Calendar, it has twelve 30-day months, and a thirteenth month of 5 days. It's currently 2001 there, and won't be 2002 until September 11th, which is the start of their new year, except in leap years when it falls on September 12th.

The clocks are different too. There are 24 hours in a day, but with a six-hour shift, and the days starting at 6AM. I never did really wrap my head around all this, and within the compound both forms of timekeeping are used.

I wonder... are we younger when we go to Ethiopia? On a quantum level, are we time-traveling in a bigger way than just flying through space and time zones? Hmmm...

Anyway, here we are at least in most places, on the last day of 2008. This was not an easy year for many of us, but it was also big in a lot of ways. Gratitude is in order here in our house, as we wave "bye-bye and don't let the door hit you in the you-know-what as you leave." I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a fresh start. I just love the promise of a shiny new year.

Rick and I are staying home tonight. We have food and champagne and plenty of firewood. We think we'll get a big jigsaw puzzle to work on, even though I generally find them annoying. Rick likes them. And I like to walk by, drop one piece into place, and be on my way... We'll also keep with our little "Mary Poppins Tradition" of writing our hopes and wishes for the New Year on sheets of paper, and then burning them in the fireplace, sending them out to the Universe. It worked for Jane and Michael. You never know. Besides, rituals are good for us. They keep us present. And after all, the Present is most certainly a Gift...

So here's wishing you a fabulous celebration tonight. Have fun, be safe, and I'll see you Next Year! May 2009 be a year filled with Love, Light, Hope, Health, Peace, Understanding, and Presence...

1 comment:

gaela said...

Very interesting information about the years in Ethiopia. I truly thought the whole planet was doing the same year as everyone else. How weird is that? The photo today is just stunning. From our home to yours, we wish you and yours the best of everything in this New Year Now, spring is around the corner and I'd love to see some beachy beads!