Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2009

happy valentine's day


Do you hate Valentine's Day? It's a weird day, filled with pressures. Rick doesn't like it, so I pretend not to. But truth is, I think it's sweet to see how people surprise each other with all kind of lovey silliness. I got Rick a card with a picture of Raggedy Ann pulling her dress up so her "I Love You" heart shows. He took a candy heart out of a bowl on the table, and set it next to my glasses (so I could read it). It said, "Be Mine". That's about it for our Valentine Festivities today. But it's enough.

I know a lot of people ignore Valentine's Day because they don't have someone special to share it with. It's easy to feel left out. But how about looking at it in a different way? Maybe this could be a day for reaching out and sharing some love with just about anyone. I'm not suggesting you pick up a stranger in a bar. But how about hanging out with your best friend? Or giving flowers to the old lady nexy door who never leaves her house? Or buying a turkey sandwich for a homeless person? You get the idea. Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about sappy romantic love. It's about love in its many forms. Celebrate! Love is great! Let the whole world be your Valentine.

I think I'll go make Rick some scrambled eggs. If that doesn't say "I Love You", I don't know what does.

No comments: