Search This Blog

Friday, June 06, 2008

my friend deborah


If you live in Santa Fe, or can possibly get there tonight, be sure to go to the Blue Rain Gallery for the opening reception for Deborah Rael-Buckley's new works, entitled Passages. Rick and I can't go. His back can't take it. But we got to see the new pieces while they were still in Deborah's studio a couple of weeks ago, and they are far beyond fabulous. I love to hear Deborah talk about the symbolism and layers of meaning that go into her sculptures. It takes them high above their obvious gorgeousness, into a whole other place where past and future get together for an intricate dance in clay. I love her stuff. We even have a special piece that she made for us this past Christmas. A treasure that we will always love.

So go see the show, and for a preview, click to this short video of Deborah talking about her work. Look at her hands. They know what they're doing. And I love that she wears fancy beaded bracelets when she works. I asked if that was for real, and she assured me it's all true! She is fearless in the face of mud. And she is one of my Art Heroes.

No comments: