Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

the last day of July...

I love July. I'm sad that it's over already. July has always been a safe haven in the summer. It's firmly planted in the middle of the season, protected on both sides by June and August. School couldn't come anywhere near it, and it always meant fun, rest, vacation, bike rides, fresh peaches, cute boys, silly summer love songs, and giggling sleepovers........ guess I miss being 14..... maybe I'm a little extra nostalgic this year, having just turned 50 and all...

July still feels same to me in most ways. It still feels like the best month of summer, but now I don't see the endless ocean of possibility out in the distance of "someday". Now I'm more in the middle of that deep blue sea, on a sailboat of my own creation. I depend on the wind, but know how to steer the thing by now, and all the time I spent learning to sail was important, because now it's time to get someplace. All the things that freaked me out about this recent birthday really boiled down to one important message from the Universe. There's no more time to dink around. Now is "someday".

I woke up at 5:00 this morning. Not because I wanted to, but because a dog was barking outside my window. After a while, I decided it was a sign from God, which it Dog spelled backwards after all... I figure Dog is God, looking in the mirror, and so maybe we should pay attention when Dog speaks... Anyway - I got up, left Rick snoozing, started the coffee, and sat in my Favorite Chair with my simple notebook and pen. And with the just-less-than-full-moon still peeking through the window, on this last day of my favorite month, I started to write a book...

I've had false starts on this all year. It's hard to get going, but this time it felt different. I won't talk about it much as it goes along. The risk of embarrassment is too great. But if I finish it, you know I'll tell you. Getting published isn't even a concern. But I've always intended to write something... "someday"...

Welcome to the last day of July. What might you do with it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, that was lovely to read. Over here, across the Pond, we've had nothing but rain for 3 months, and have almost been flooded by the River Thames, had a close call there. However, the last day of July, I feel sad about that too, particularly as we've had hardly any REAL summer days (daze) yet, but, 31st was a LOVELY SUNNY day, the hottest yet this year I gather. My friend took me out shopping with her ! We had a wonderful day and it was so good to be out in the sunshine all day and please ourselves AND not have to bother about a rain-coat or when the next downpour was coming! So, it was an enjoyable day, at last ! - a nice end to a gloomy 3 months. (Hope you get to write your book !)

Anonymous said...

Go Kim Go. I love everything about what you are thinking and doing now, downsizing to Yurtopia and really feeling the present.

I love your writing and can't wait to read your book.
Kate