Search This Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

Where have I been?... freezing in the studio mostly. It's cold. Damn cold. So cold we can barely keep the house warm. We have a wood stove, and that's it. Poor thing is struggling. There's another stove in the studio, but it's a cheapie, so needs constant tending or it goes out. I leave a window open for ventilation, so it's an uphill battle to keep warm. Think the life of an artist is all glamour? HaHa! You should see me... layers and layers of old, ugly clothes - mostly purple for some reason - full of burn holes from popping glass, and topped with a green apron from Starbucks. I have a lovely pair of old socks with the toes cut out, and thumb holes hacked into the sides, so I can wear them as fingerless gloves/something to keep glass out of my sleeves. Then there's my hair... I'm awaiting new products (thanks Chris!!!), but even with the right hair help, I still have to keep it out of the flame. A headband, scarf, or bushy ponytail complete my workday ensemble. The best news this week is a new pair of boots, that not only keep my feet warm on that cement floor, but also grip the snow like crazy. My old ones were always trying to throw me to the ground, but these ones are great. Lots of tread. I do enjoy remaining upright while walking out to the trash can...

No, I won't have Rick take a picture. It's too hideous. Just imagine me looking like the movie star of your choice, making beads on a sunny beach, surrounded by palm trees and beautiful surfer-boy assistants. It's much better for my glam artist image...

4 comments:

Nightbeader said...

The things we endure for the sake of our art! Purple is a royal color so why wouldn't you be dressed in this regal manner? It is cold and rainy here as well, just no snow. Mesa, AZ rarely gets snow. Take care
Beadily your
Susan

Mary Timme said...

When we lived in Alaska I bought with DH, a wood stove so I could keep the house warm enough not to freeze pipes if the power went off. We had electric heat. It was such a comfort to have the stove even if the house wasn't big.

I hope the road to Tucson and the weather there improves. I bet it will.

Anonymous said...

Kim, purple is a good colour, it stands for inspriation and energy! That's why you get so much inspiration for your beautiful beads ! Glad the boots are good on your feet, I fell over last week, ouch ! - hurt my knee, someone had left a half eaten beef burger on the ground, yuck, me being a vegetarian too !
Hopefully the weather in Tucson will be better !

Anonymous said...

I'll repeat what the others said..purple being my favorite color, its a good one, full of energy and yes, even a touch of royalty. Kim, no matter what, I will always envision you as a bead goddess!!!