Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

creativity


My friend Deborah says she has enough ideas for new work to keep her going for the rest of her life. Wow... wish I could say the same. But for me it doesn't work that way. It's more like water. Like a deep well I trust will never run dry. As long as I keep the faucet on and running, letting the new ideas and inspirations flow like water, I know it will just keep flowing. I also know that if I try to shut it off or stop in one place too long, I'm likely to clog the pipes and muck up the waters.

I'm fortunate to have a lot of bead collectors who appreciate how I work, and trust me to follow my own creativity. I feel less and less obligated to make what some will try to demand, and more responsible - response-able - able to follow my heart. I might lose some customers that way. That's okay. If they don't understand that basic thing about me, they won't truly enjoy my work anyway. Besides, the ones who leave open a space for new ones to come in. It's all part of the flow. I have a little pendant that I bought at a craft fair. It says "move like a river". It's a good reminder for me to trust the flow of it all. The more it goes, the more it goes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I completely and whole-heartedly understand how you feel, I'm the same. It's like writer's block ~ sometimes I get no inspiration for creating my jewellery and other times I have so many ideas buzzing in my head I can't get them all into practice and out of my head fast enough ! ...just like your tap