Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2006

the early bird...

OK, so we expect cold weather in November, but I still find myself caught a little by surprise. There's a mean old arctic blast working it's way into New Mexico, and every time I go outside, I think - Eeeewwww! Too cold!!!! I was up before the sun and the goats this morning because poor Rick is still not feeling well, and I knew I had a busy day ahead of me. But getting up early almost always has benefits. I get most of the coffee when I'm the first one up, and I also got a good long look at this beautiful Mountain-Something-Jay... we call them Pinon Jays around here, and Rick and I call them the Lost Birds because of the sad little wait-for-me cry they make. I got the camera too late, but the birdbath was packed full of them this morning. Everything else in the neighborhood is frozen at that time of day, but thanks to my friend Cathy in Oregon, we have this nifty electric heated birdbath. We are ever so popular in bird circles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's nice Kim ! Lovely little bird. We have Jay's over here in England too, but they're a kind of pale brown, I suppose fawn colour with a lovely turquisy blue on their winds. One flew in front of me the other day making me jump ! We too get lots in our garden at home, squirrels too, which Ollie, my cat loves to chase ! Not too cold over here yet though ! Michelle

Anonymous said...

...oh er... that was mean to read 'a lovely turquisy blue on their wings..' !!!